Our statistics say it allWith our main warehouse in Copenhagen and supply hubs around the world, in 2010 alone, UNICEF procured billions (literally!) of supplies for children.
- 23 million malaria nets
- 4,346 hand pumps
- 17.6 million HIV test kits
- 1.23 billion water purification tablets
- 20,700 tonnes of therapeutic food for malnourished children
- Over 13 million textbooks to more than 5,500 schools in Zimbabwe alone
- 2.5 billion doses of vaccines to 99 countries, reaching 58% of the world’s children.
Our impact in action - HaitiIn the first 11 days after the 2010 Haiti earthquake emergency, 10 planeloads of UNICEF supplies arrived in neighbouring Santo Domingo and were trucked across the border.
UNICEF staff worked around the clock to save and protect children. To date, over 1.9 million young people have been vaccinated against measles, tetanus and other diseases. And we have provided 720,000 children with pencils, books and uniforms, as well as 16,000 Education Kits in the drive to get children back to school.
New Zealand donors are helping us build a better Haiti for children. Read the report Haiti two year update (PDF, 767KB).
How we achieve such a huge impactWith teams of dedicated experts working in 190 countries, we have the scale and power to bring about wide-reaching changes for children at both the international and community level.
- We ensure that our programmes are sustainable and effective. We save entire communities rather than just one child, by working with the family, community, regional and country level.
- In emergencies, our global network of supply hubs mean mean that at any time, UNICEF is ready to pack and ship emergency items within 48 hours. We provide essential resources during the emergency and help to build back better once the immediate needs of children have been met. When everyone else leaves, UNICEF remains!
- Here in New Zealand we are working closely with various organisations to bring children’s issues into the spotlight and affect change at a government level.
Join our mission to create a better world
Donate to UNICEF's work with children.
Buy an Inspired Gift for children - guaranteed delivery!
Give a gift that does good!Bring joy to your loved ones and smiles to kids who don't have much at all with an Inspired Gift like pencils or family water kits. Give an Inspired Gift!
- 22 May 2013 UNICEF concerned about reports of children trapped in Qusayr
- 15 May 2013 Cities for Children to Grow: Child Friendly Cities
- 15 May 2013 Scams Using UNICEF's Name