Hayley Westenra is one of the youngest ever ambassadors for UNICEF. As a world-famous soprano, she works to raise awareness of the desperate situation facing children around the world.Hayley is passionate about children’s empowerment. She supports education by providing bikes for children so they can attend school and find a better future. 6000 bikes have already been given to the children of Ghana.
"Meeting young people that are the same as me but with such a different world of opportunity has a profound affect on you. I aspire to be a singer, which seems so unessential compared with their simple desire for a regular cup of clean water. You can't go somewhere like that, meet those people, and come back unchanged," she says.
Hayley has also worked with UNICEF to provide clean water to children and their families in Ghana. Watch the video above to find out more.
Since becoming an Ambassador for UNICEF New Zealand Hayley has:
- Attended and sung at the memorial for Sir Peter Ustinov at the UN;
- Recorded a video about child trafficking to broadcast at her concerts;
- Recorded two videos about the impact of HIV/AIDS on children;
- Sung at a concert held by the New Zealand and Canadian Embassies in London, and performed at the world premiere of UNICEF's official title song "Children First" with A-HA singer Morten Harket.
Give a gift that does good!Bring joy to your loved ones and smiles to kids who don't have much at all with an Inspired Gift like pencils or family water kits. Give an Inspired Gift!
- 15 May 2013 Cities for Children to Grow: Child Friendly Cities
- 15 May 2013 Scams Using UNICEF's Name
- 14 May 2013 2.4 Billion People Will Lack Improved Sanitation in 2015